NREDA Conference: See You in Sunny San Antonio!
The 2006 NREDA Conference is your opportunity to hear nationally known and industry-related speakers, attend timely educational sessions and benefit from ample networking opportunities.
For fun, you may also choose to enjoy a Riverwalk Development tour/luncheon cruise, participate in a TexMex cooking class, or play in the annual NREDA Golf Outing.
Bring your family! There is so much to do in San Antonio, Texas, and lodging is affordable. Make room reservations by August 1 to receive the conference room rate. Call (210) 222-1400 or (800) 445-8667 and be sure to mention NREDA.
Walk-ins Welcome! NREDA Financing Forum - June 14th
How can your community access financing opportunities that will further economic development goals? Find out at the upcoming NREDA Finance Forum on June 14th. Walk ins welcome! The forum takes place at the Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes, Myrtle Beach, and S.C. From community foundations, to accessing the secondary market and angel networks, this one-day workshop will provide you with information you can use! If you are involved with a revolving loan fund (RLF), you will learn how to grow yours.
Registration: $195. For a complete agenda, reservation forms, and hotel information, please download the information packet or visit www.nreda.org.
Branding Your Community
NRECA will host a one-day seminar that will teach you how to "map" your local assets, inventory community development and integrate these strategies to deal with current and emerging issues. The seminar begins the day before the NREDA 2006 Financing Forum, Tuesday, June 13, at the Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes, Myrtle Beach, S.C. Registration: $195. Get the details >
Nominate Rural Leaders by June 23rd
NREDA is seeking applications for the 2006 Rural Economic Development Leadership awards. Award recipients are honored at the 2006 NREDA Conference in San Antonio, Texas. If you know an exceptional candidate, please complete the nomination form found online www.nreda.org and return it along with the appropriate support materials to NREDA no later than June 23, 2006.
Top-notch Speakers to Highlight 2006 NREDA Conference
The 2006 NREDA Conference is known for attracting terrific, informative speakers. Just check out our key speakers:
- Kicking off the conference, Bill Stainton has won 29 Emmy Awards and 12 International Iris Awards for his work as executive producer, writer, and performer, including many years with the long-running NBC television comedy show, Almost Live! He has also worked with celebrity comedians Jerry Seinfeld, Ellen Degeneres, and Lily Tomlin.
As a performer and Master of Ceremonies, Bill's clients include Microsoft, Special Olympics and the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. And via his corporate training company, his clients include State Farm, HP, Nordstrom, and even the CIA.
Beyond all these accomplishments, Bill is also an internationally recognized Beatles expert, and speaks coast to coast on "The Five Best Decisions the Beatles Ever Made, and Why You Should Make Them Too."
- Kelly McDonald is a former advertising executive with a long list of impressive clients including Toyota, Blue Cross Blue Shield and Budweiser. Kelly's is considered an expert in Latino culture and marketing to the Hispanic population. Her goal is to "educate American businesses and organizations about the potential of cultivating Latino consumers and share marketing insights about reaching Latinos emotionally, rationally and with cultural relevance." Conference attendees can expect her address to hit home with insightful information about this important segment of the American population. Kelly was recently named #1 on the list of "26 Hot Speakers for 2006" by Successful Meetings Magazine!
- Closing the conference is Steve Seimens, founder and president of Siemens People Builders. Siemens' messages aim to motivate people to action and should serve as the perfect conference send off. His own life is model of community service: Currently he is the president of Kiwanis International, a member of the board of governors for the Iowa Easter Seals and has served as chairman of the Iowa board of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. He has been awarded the CSP (Certified Speaking Professional) from the National Speakers Association. (Only seven percent of speakers worldwide have passed the rigorous criteria to attain the CSP.)
New and Improved: NREDA Web Site
If you haven't visited in a while, go now to www.nreda.org. You'll be amazed at the changes: attractive design, more information, more member resources and friendlier navigation.
Of particular note, check out the page of related links http://www.nreda.org/web/2006/03/related_links.aspx for a list of valuable resources including demographic data, training, government sites, and other information. Another highlight: NREDA members can now access and update their membership information online. To view or change your member records, visit http://www.nreda.org/Core/login.aspx.
back to top
REAL Summer Training Institutes
*From Rural Entrepreneurship Newsletter
REAL Entrepreneurship is a hands-on entrepreneurship education curriculum that gives entrepreneurs the knowledge and confidence to start a small business. The versatile curriculum covers business idea research, financial concepts, market feasibility and business operation. The philosophy behind REAL is that entrepreneurs are doers, not watchers, who learn best through active participation, new experiences and reflection. The curriculum contains over 200 activities to appeal to people with different styles of learning and with different levels of business experience. REAL is used in SBDCs, community colleges and community-based organizations across the country. The weeklong training institute introduces facilitators to the activities of the curriculum and guides them through developing a semester-long course outline. It is an excellent professional development opportunity. Training institutes will be offered throughout the summer in various locations including NC, SC, MI, VT and WV. Average tuition is $1,000 plus the cost of the curriculum. Scholarships are available. To learn more or register online for REAL training institutes, go to www.realenterprises.org.
back to top
Support for Communities Affected by Katrina
Many co-op communities hit by Katrina will be rebuilding for years, and could use an infusion of funding. The Bush Clinton Katrina Fund is offering funding to community organizations as well as state and local governments. The funding focuses on building better communities through housing and employment as well as religious, educational and recreational institutions. Donations to the fund come from all over the world. Submit letters of interest, no longer than five pages, indicating:
Write to: Grants Administrator Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund, 1301 K Street, NW, 8th Floor East, Washington, DC 20005.
- the nature of the project;
- how and why it meets program requirements and goals; and
- a proposed project budget.
SUSDA to Fund Co-op Economic Impact Study
Capturing the socioeconomic impacts of cooperatives is enabling cooperative statewide organizations to issue reports on the benefits of electric cooperatives to the state's economies. Now, the USDA has funds to help a university capture and analyze the economic impact of all kinds of cooperatives for local areas. The $495,000 grant will run for two years through the Research on the Economic Impact of Cooperatives program. Applications are due by June 30 electronically or by mail. Application information and guidelines.
back to top